CONNECTICUT'S SMALL TOWNS ARE SPECIAL, THEY ARE:
- Great places to live, work and raise a family
- Independent communities with a tradition of self-sufficiency
- Models of cost-effective, grassroots government
BUT THEY ARE ALSO AT RISK, WHY?
Because when policy's being crafted in Hartford and Washington, small towns can get lost in the shuffle. That means your town can end up with cumbersome mandates and financial burdens that strain local resources and threaten residents' quality of life.
THE SOLUTION: CONNECTICUT COUNCIL OF SMALL TOWNS (COST)
WHAT IS COST?
COST is an advocacy organization committed to giving small towns a strong voice in the legislative process. Its members are Connecticut towns with populations of less than 30,000.
- UNIQUE- The only statewide organization dedicated exclusively to serving the interests of Connecticut’s small towns.
- INFLUENTIAL - A public-policy advocacy group that champions the cause of Connecticut’s small towns in the Connecticut legislature and the U.S. Congress.
- RESPECTED - A professional, issues-oriented organization highly regarded by leaders at both the state and federal levels.
- PRACTICAL - The most effective way for Connecticut’s small towns to speak with one voice and to have an impact on state and federal decisions that affect their future.
- SUCCESSFUL - A skilled, politically savvy advocacy team with a strong record of accomplishment.
- GROWING - COST's membership has grown substantially. Today more than 85 percent of eligible Connecticut towns are now members of COST.